After Ravello the road offers a splendid panorama of the bay of Maiori and the mountains that surround it like an amphitheater. The built-up area in part overlooks the ocean, behind a narrow sandy beach, in part the interior of the valley, next to the canalized course of the torrent Reginna Maior. This was the old name of Maiori, to distinguish it from Reginna Minor, which is now called Minori. Both followed the vicissitudes of the Amalfi Republic, but after the attack by Pisa, Maiori became a feud of the D?Anjou, then of the Sanseverino and then of the Piccolomini who built the castle of S.Nicola in 1468 to defend the population frompirate incursions. Minori received great privileges from the Norman sovereigns, but in the 11th century it was seriously damaged by a tidal wave and a century later another cataclysm submerged most of the beach. In the outskirts of Minori are the remains of a Roman villa dating to the 1st century A.C., an indication of the importance of the site at the time. The center of the construction is a courtyard, once a garden, with a pool of which the plumbing system is still clearly visible. A portico with large arches and a nymphaeum decorated with stuccoes and frescoes, the remains of a staircase which led to the upper floor, and terraces, testify to the way in which the building was built with the landscape in mind. An antiquarium installed in one of the rooms of the villa contains the remains of other buildings in the surroundings.
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class JSMinException in /web/htdocs/www.positanovillas.it/home/js/packer.php on line 246